Thursday, May 26, 2011

Visitor

I came home to a visitor yesterday. When I came out of the shop, he was really trucking along. I don't know where he thought he was going because he was headed away from any water that might be close. (Do all turtles like to leave near water?) The turtle wasn't huge, but a pretty good size. I'd say the shell was probably 6" x 8".
But once I slammed the door and started watching him, he stopped, plunked himself on the ground and tucked his head away. Can you see that his right eye is closed? He had the indignity of having to put up with an ant crawling on his face as he waited me out.
See the ant now?

I waited and waited, sitting very still, but the turtle out-waited me and eventually I went in the house to eat (and stop my legs from tingling). I went back out a few minutes later, sneaking around the garage, to see if I could catch him, but he was gone. Vanished. Off like a bandit.
(I hadn't known before how truly ugly turtle's tails are.)

No comments:

Blog Archive