Monday, June 04, 2012

Further Disaster Leads to Further Delay

This is how we left the island tile when last we spoke.

On Sunday I ramped myself up to get the rest of it done. I marked all the tile and then took out one of the broken tiles to practice on. Just to see if it was any different than cutting the porcelain tiles. (I've never done this before; what do I know?)
This one came out quite good. You can see I have two nice 6" squares out of the tile. They'll make pretty (and hefty) trivets.

Then I went to cut the first tile I would have to use, and suddenly CHINK:
There it went. The tile cracked along a vein (I assume), right across the part that I needed to not crack. That is when I stopped. I wasn't pushing too fast (I thought), so I didn't know what to do to make the next one not do the same thing. I did do some rearranging of the tiles (the few I have left) and made it so I'm cutting the less veined tiles.

We're going to get a new blade and see if that will help. But that means it's not getting done this week. If you have any tips, let me know.

I have two spares still I think, but if I go over that, I will have to buy another box of ten and that will hurt with a capital $.

No comments:

Blog Archive