Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Turning a Corner

If I were still in math classes, I'd say that the slope of the function of our kitchen progress just turned from negative to positive. We have switched directions. In plainer English, we have exchanged demolition for new construction.

Wait? You didn't hear me? NEW CONSTRUCTION!

It wasn't the most exciting new construction, but I'm not going to let that dampen my mood. It was the first.

The two of us dug out half of the gravel in the kitchen. Once the grunt work was done, I left the fine leveling and raking to Troy.

I also left him to himself as he was figuring and calculating and muttering while trying to figure exactly how far down he had to go to make the slab thick enough and make the subfloor line up with the eastern half of the floor. (Or whatever part of that he decided to pick as "the" height. It's not like it is very level.)
There is a 3 inch drop from the level of the floor in the main part of the kitchen to the western edge of the porch. That was good when it was a porch and rain needed to drain away from the house. It's not so good when you want to make it into a kitchen floor. Unlike the people who did the original remodel, we plan to deal with this slope and have a kitchen floor that doesn't make you feel like you're sailing the high seas.

Troy was hoping to have the concrete ready to pour with me this weekend. Bad news? I am gone this weekend. :( So that may be a bit of a delay. In the meantime he got exactly one stake in the floor for the forms.

No comments:

Blog Archive