Sunday, October 30, 2011

Insulation Sunday

So we did get to insulation today! It took some work as Menards was not the most put together, but by 3:30 we were blowing cellulose into the kitchen walls.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that it is messy dusty work. But it is.

Troy had drilled holes in our fresh new drywall about half way up and at the top of the wall. We went around and did the lower ones, then we had to compact the insulation and fill them again (and again).
The holes were just large enough for me to
get my arms in just about up to my shoulders!
When the walls are 12" thick, you need to reach a long ways!

By the time we were done, we had compacted the insulation many times and Troy was hoping that we won't have to top off the insulation again later. I have my doubts. (Being more of a "math" person I knew that we would never be able to compact and completely fill each cavity. Troy, being a "physics" person, thinks that it will be close enough to count. We'll see.)

It was a long day that went pretty well in retrospect, but that didn't make me feel any better when the hose got clogged, it started raining and the bags of insulation still outside got wet or when the compacting and refilling just.wouldn't.stop. The only thing sustaining me the last hour was the thought that I was going to go out and get McDonalds as soon as I could. (I was pretty hungry and cranky by then.)

I think it was about 9 before the blowing was done. Then cleanup (sweeping, sweeping and more sweeping plus reloading everything into the truck for Troy to bring back tomorrow at 7 am and not a minute later) and then a blessed shower. By 10 I was on the way to MickeyD's for a Big Mac meal. I think this may be the first time I have ever gone out and gotten McD's to take back home to eat. Isn't that strange? Anyway, Troy got some McRib sandwiches and joined me in a meal I had to have to get over being a whiny baby celebrate possibly being done with insulation.

There's no small group tomorrow night so this morning I was thinking I could use the evening to prime the drywall. Now I'm not so sure I'm up for it. (Plus the lower holes would all have to be closed, taped and I think mudded.) On the other hand, you know what happens after the priming's done? Cabinets.

Cabinets. Not faked ones this time either. Real ones. Screwed in place.

No comments:

Blog Archive